Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Settling in in Alcañiz

So my first couple weeks of classes consisted mostly of wandering around campus with a big map of the United States trying to find the right classroom or teacher who I was supposed to go to class with. Now I´ve given my introduction/lifestory to most of the English classes and am going on to other subjects.

Two weekends ago I went to Rodellar (Huesca) with a few rockclimbers I met here. We were met up there by some other climbers from Alcañiz and rented a bungalow to stay in. I had heard also that Paco and Carlitos (from Valdepeñas area) were up in Rodellar too, but I didn´t have cell phone coverage. Finally one morning on the way to climb I ran into them and it was really good to climb together and hang out.

Last weekend, Gonzalo (from Valdepeñas) showed up Thursday afternoon and we took off for Siurana (Tarragona). We climbed and ate out a bunch and then came back Saturday when we got rained out. Gonzalo was heading up to Graos for his mountaineering courses. Sunday I went to the gypsy church. The acoustics in the building were pretty poor and I had trouble understanding. The music was sung by whoever was holding the microphone (passed around a group of women in the front pews) with piano, and rhythmic clapping from the rest of the congregation. At night I went back to the evangelical church I had been to before and the prayers and sermon were more biblical then they had been the week before.

This week I went climbing on Monday afternoon, I gave private lessons Tuesday afternoon (and will again this afternoon), and then hopefully if the weather permits I´ll go climbing again Thursday afternoon, and I still have to make plans for the weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil, When you say private lessons are you talking about climbing lessons?

Anonymous said...

phil - sounds like climbing is your real job, and teaching is your hobby during the week. ;) you should post a map on here, so we know where all these places are. did amy go climbing with you? (talked to her yesterday and she said she got rained out too.) how long is the drive to valdepenas?

Phillip and Amy said...

I wish they were climbing lessons, no, the English lessons are what generate a litte side income. I have not seen Amy in Spain yet. I will be going to Valdepeñas next weekend. I will let you know how long it takes to get there, I don´t really know. I will see about posting a map...