Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Phil´s return to Spain

I left Chicago (after visiting friends, going to a wedding in Louisville and climbing in the Red River Gorge) on Monday and made it to the orientation in Madrid without any problems. The orientation wasn´t much but with free food and lodging I had a decent time meeting some of the other conversation assistants.

I hopped a bus for Zaragoza on Thursday and met some other conversation assistants, one of whom was heading for Alcañiz as well. It was about a 4hr ride to Zgz. and then another 1hr 40min to Alcañiz. Valentina had already arranged to share an apartment but we shared a cab and I got situated in Hostal Alcañiz. There are two other conversation assitants here as well, Carolane (french) and Kevin (English in the grade school). Valentina is English in the adult language school.

Friday I saw the Instituto (de Enseñanza Secundaria) aka High School and the English director started helping me find a place to live. We ended up going out for Menú del día with a group from the school. Then we went out to the kart track to watch his son but ended up taking a tour of the Formula One track they are building as part of MotorLand Aragón.

Then I went and looked at a living space. Saturday morning after looking around a little more I went and put my money down on an apartment at this space. It is a huge space that these two Spanish guys have renovated into apartments. They live in loft apartments off the main hall. The rest of the apartments (6 or 7?) have shared kitchens (2) and living room. Most have their own bathrooms as well, then there are 3 shared bathrooms off the main hall as well. I just found out I share one of these bathrooms with just one of the owners (his loft doesn´t have one). My apartment is off the living room with a couple others (the rest are down a side hall). It is fairly small but adequate and has a sink so I can brush my teeth right there.

I just got my schedule at the school and I´ll be working Tuesday through Thursday. I also have a bunch of side jobs lined up- individual classes and a teachers´ course. I´ve met some climbers and went climbing yesterday, and am going again this afternoon. I also found one of the evangelical churches Sunday night. They are a small group and the worship service left a lot to be desired. The other church in the area is apparently the gypsy church, so I´ll probably check that out.

Pictures to come soon...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are gong well and you're settling right in! I would love to see some pictures.