Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Getting settled in Valdepeñas

(view from our window)

Sunday, Amy and I attended an Evangelical church. The people there were very friendly and helpful and suggested we try some real estate agents to find an apartment. We were thankful to have found a solid church right away.

Monday we met with a couple of real estate agents and looked at half a dozen apartments. Fortunately most apartments in Spain are rented furnished. We finally decided on a very nice apartment near the center with a view of the church clock tower. Our agent was able to negotiate the price a little as we do not need the garage. We were able to move in Tuesday morning.
(Phil relaxing in our living room/dining room)

(Amy unpacking in her room)

We were very excited to get out of the hostel which was kind of pricey and start cooking for ourselves. Our first meal in our apartment was French toast.

(ummmm, french toast)

I also made an appearance at my school on Monday. I am not a teacher. I don´t have to grade, teach grammar, correct any papers, or give exams. Rather I will help with conversation and culture. I´m only working 12 hrs a week and it looks like I´ll have every Friday off. The school is an official government run language school. They offer English, German, and French. Students must be at least 16 years old to enroll. Classes are at night. Next week another professor is coming to teach a class for teachers in Spanish schools. Apparently they want to have bilingual schools so the teachers must learn English. I am going to be primarily helping with these classes so I have not actually done anything yet. I did talk for a few minutes in one class just as a listening exercise for the students, but other than that I have just been hanging out with the other teachers and taking advantage of free internet access.

The school is about a half hour walk from our apartment if you take it leisurely. I need a bike...






1 comment:

travelingtroll said...

Glad to hear that breakfast was the first meal...do you have a waffle maker???? I think that whenever we're reunited we should eat waffles, sound good?